Boy, 3, left in car dies

Boy, 3, left in car dies

TRAGIC: Child was left sleeping in the back seat of car for nine hours

KUANTAN: A 3-YEAR-OLD boy is believed to have died from heatstroke after he was left sleeping in the back seat of his family’s car for more than nine hours.

Muhammad Ariff Mohd Yusof, the youngest of five siblings, was pronounced dead on arrival at Tengku Ampuan Afzan Hospital here, after his parents rushed him there after finding his lifeless body in the family’s multi-purpose vehicle at 5pm yesterday.

A source said the boy’s 41-year-old father, a labourer, was supposed to have dropped him off at a nursery in Indera Mahkota after dropping off his wife and four other children at two separate schools. However, it is learnt that he forgot that Ariff had been sleeping in the back seat after he spent two hours at SK Tunku Azizah in Indera Mahkota to settle matters regarding two of his children’s first day at school.

Ariff’s father had earlier left the family house at the Kampung Pandan teacher’s quarters here at 7.30am and brought along his 39-year-old wife, a school administrative assistant at SMK Pandan, and their five children.

He dropped his wife and two of their children at SMK Pandan before sending another two to SK Tunku Azizah in Indera Mahkota at 8am. He then spent two hours at the school and was supposed to drop Ariff at a nursery in Indera Mahkota. Instead, he drove to Taman Tas for a drink.

When his wife contacted him to pick her up about noon, he drove to SMK Pandan to fetch her and their two children. Later, they went to check on their other two children at SK Tunku Azizah.

The duo had parked their MPV outside the school to wait for their children, who were attending religious classes at the school.

It is learnt the situation became chaotic when the family returned to the vehicle and one of the children opened the MPV’s boot and found Ariff lying unconscious in the back seat.

The victim’s mother said her husband was supposed to have sent Ariff to a childcare centre but had forgotten about their son after the child was left sleeping in the back seat.

The family lodged a police report at the Kuantan police station at 7.30pm.

It is learnt a post-mortem on the victim late last night found he had died from heatstroke.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s